Charly Arnolt leaving WWE for ESPN amid rumors of backstage tension

2

Sports host and broadcaster Charly Arnolt has accepted a full-time gig with ESPN following a multi-year contract extension.

It was confirmed on Monday that Arnolt would not renew her contract with WWE following weeks of rumors and reports of backstage tensions.

ESPN’s public relations Twitter account tweeted: “Multi-platform host & reporter @CharlyOnTV will be joining ESPN full time beginning in April as part of a new, multi-year contract extension.

“Arnolt will continue to contribute to @FirstTake, @SportsCenter, @SportsNation, & co-host @1stTakeHerTake.”

Arnolt has been with ESPN since 2018, and has been a contributor for “First Take,” “SportsCenter,” “Sports Nation,” and the co-host of new female-driven podcast “First Take, Her Take.”

“It is so incredibly exciting to become a full-time member of the ESPN family,” Arnolt said. “I look forward to continuing to grow with such a talented group of professionals and I can’t wait for all the opportunities that lie ahead.”

Wrestling fans noticed that the host, known in WWE as Charly Caruso, had been missing from Raw for the past few weeks – an absence Fightful Select said was due to a dispute with WWE over her running late for interviews.

The news site reported that Arnolt was late for interviews with Randy Orton and Sheamus.

Sources reportedly told Fightful: “She gained heat backstage after consistently being late to conduct interviews meant for Raw.

“We’re told that there were specific instances with Randy Orton and Sheamus that led to WWE taking her off television for the time being after word got back to higher ups.”

The same source also indicated “that Kevin Patrick being brought in was seen as a direct replacement to her.”

The 33-year-old balanced being an on-screen host for both WWE and ESPN.

Previous reports suggest that WWE CEO Vince McMahon has excused Arnolt’s lateness in the past but he was fast losing patience.

Rumors recently emerged that Arnolt was being replaced when the WWE hired former CNN International broadcaster Kevin Egan in early March.

Egan, who will go by Kevin Patrick for the promotion, was born in Dublin Ireland, and has worked for CNN International, SiriusXM FC, and Atlanta United on Fox Sports.

Egan will work with the company as a RAW backstage correspondent, commentator for WWE Main Event, and host of RAW Talk.

He told WWE.COM: “I’m beyond thrilled to join WWE, I’ve always been blown away by the incredible charisma and athleticism of the WWE Superstars, and I’m excited at the opportunity to help tell their stories.”

He sat in Arnolt’s chair for WWE web show RAW Talk for three straight weeks after joining the wrestling company.

Outside of work, Arnolt runs a popular fitness app.

View original post